Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
A Christian coaching relationship exists when coaching includes an agreement or contract that defines the responsibilities of each party.
Paul Hackett Coaching coaches aspire to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively upon the coaching profession; are respectful of different approaches to coaching; and recognize that they are also bound by applicable laws and regulations.
- I will not knowingly make any public statement that is untrue or misleading about what I offer as a coach or make false claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession or my credentials.
- I will accurately identify my coaching qualifications, expertise, experience, certifications, and credentials.
- I will recognize and honor the efforts and contributions of others and not misrepresent them as my own. I understand that violating this standard may leave me subject to legal remedy by a third party.
- I will, always, strive to recognize personal issues that may impair, conflict, or interfere with my coaching performance or my coaching relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly seek professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s).
- I will conduct and report research with competence, honesty, and within recognized scientific standards and applicable subject guidelines. My research will be carried out with the necessary consent and approval of those involved, and with an approach that will protect participants from any potential harm. All research efforts will be performed in a manner that complies with all the applicable laws of the country in which the research is conducted.
- I will maintain, store, and dispose of any records created during my coaching business in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy, and complies with any applicable laws and agreements
- I will seek to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts of interest and openly disclose any such conflicts. I will offer to remove myself when such a conflict arises.
- I will only barter for services, goods, or other non-monetary remuneration when it will not impair the coaching relationship.
- I will not knowingly take any personal, professional, or monetary advantage or benefit of the coach-client relationship, except by a form of compensation as agreed in the agreement or contract.
- I will not knowingly mislead or make false claims about what my client will receive from the coaching process or from me as the coach.
- I will not give my prospective clients information or advice I know or believe to be misleading or false.
- I will have clear agreements or contracts with my clients. I will honor all agreements or contracts made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
- I will carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching clients understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement or contract.
- I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact I may have with my clients.
- I will not become sexually intimate with any of my clients.
- I will respect the client’s right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement or contract. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
- I will encourage the client to make a change if I believe the client would be better served by another coach or by another resource.
- I will suggest my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
- I will maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client information. I will have a clear agreement or contract before releasing information to another person unless required by law.
- I will have a clear agreement upon how coaching information will be exchanged among coach and client.
- When acting as a trainer of student coaches, I will clarify confidentiality policies with the students.
- I will have associated coaches and other persons whom I manage in service of my clients in a paid or volunteer capacity make clear agreements or contracts to adhere to the Standard of Ethical Conduct and Confidentiality/Privacy standards mentioned above to the extent applicable.
As a Christian Coach, I acknowledge and agree to honor my ethical and legal obligations to my coaching clients, colleagues, and to the public at large. I pledge to comply with the Code of Ethics, and to practice these standards with those whom I coach.